Its big disappointment for Kollywood as well as India because Visaaranai which was chosen as India’s official entry for the world’s most prestigious Oscars was not shortlisted.
Visaaranai was recommended by India to Oscars for Best Foreign Language Film category. However, the film didn’t make it to the final nominations. The executive selection board has shortlisted 9 films for Best Foreign Language Film category.
The entry for this category involves two levels of nomination process. The first phase took place in mid-October and the final phase on December 12 which includes several hundred Academy members and juries. The selection board has closed six films for the category along with additional three films.
It is said that Visaaranai was selected in the first phase of selection process, but the film was not selected in the second phase, though the film had good chances of winning an Oscar.
Visaaranai is a 2015 docudrama-crime thriller film written and directed by Vetrimaaran based on the novel Lock Up by M. Chandrakumar. The film stars Dinesh, Anandhi and Aadukalam Murugadoss in the lead roles, which deals with police brutality, corruption, and loss of innocence in the face of injustice.
Here are the shortlisted films from 85 submissions.
- Australia, “Tanna” – directors Bentley Dean, Martin Butler
- Canada, “It’s Only the End of the World” – director Xavier Dolan
- Denmark, “Land of Mine” – director Martin Zandvliet
- Germany, “Toni Erdmann” – director Maren Ade
- Iran, “The Salesman” – director Asghar Farhadi
- Norway, “The King’s Choice” – director Erik Poppe
- Russia, “Paradise” – director Andrei Konchalovsky
- Sweden, “A Man Called Ove” – director Hannes Holm
- Switzerland, “My Life as a Zucchini” – director Claude Barras.
- Official: Thala Ajith’s AK57 Title Launch Date Announced
- Just In: Ilayathalapathy Vijay’s Bairavaa Audio Release Date Announced
- Sunny Leone Nailed the Gorgeous ‘Punjabi Kudi’ Look at Her Brother’s Wedding
Stay tuned to Techiewheels for more updates!