Samsung to Release New Software Update to Kill Galaxy Note 7 Battery Once for All

Samsung to permanently disable Galaxy Note 7 devices in the US with a software update that would prevent phone from charging.

Samsung to Release New Software Update to Kill Galaxy Note 7 Battery

After global recall of Samsung Galax Note 7, Samsung rolled out a new software update to Galaxy Note 7 units in the United States that restricted battery charging to 60%. The update reminded users every time then turn on the phone screen about the recall and it should be returned

Now, the company is going to roll out yet another software update to the unreturned Galaxy Note 7 units in the US to completely brick the handsets making it useless. Samsung has recovered almost 93% of the Note 7 sold in the US, while the update is meant for the remaining 7% Note 7s.

Samsung has altered Note 7 users about the update through a message stating, “As of December 19th, Samsung will modify the software to prevent the Galaxy Note 7 from charging. The phone will no longer work”

All carriers are participating in the roll out of the update while Verizon has decided to stay away from the update.  Verizon said, “Verizon will not be taking part in this update because of the added risk this could pose to Galaxy Note 7 users that do not have another device to switch to.”

All other major carriers in the US will also be releasing the update at different instances. Sprint will be rolling out the update on Januarys 8th, AT&T on January 5th and T-Mobile on December 27th.

Related Posts:

Stay tuned to Techiewheels for more updates!